Report an Outage

What to do if my power goes out?

  1. Go to the main inside panel to check for a blown fuse or a tripped breaker. Fuses must be replaced and breakers need to be reset.  If there is an outside disconnect under the meter make sure to check there also.
  2. If the problem is not in your main panel, call a neighbor to determine if they are also without power.
  3. If the problem is not within your home and several homes are involved, notify Sand Mountain Electric Cooperative.
  4. It is helpful to have an electric bill in hand to provide accurate account information, if this is not possible; please have the correct name of the account and a phone number where you can be reached.

What number do I call?

 Rainsville Area  256-638-2153
 Henagar Area  256-657-5137
 Geraldine Area  256-659-2153
 Section-Guntersville Area  877-843-2512
 Valley Head Area  256-635-6344
 Fort Payne Area  256-845-1511


Dial any of the numbers above to report an outage 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Medical Priority List

SMEC maintains a medical priority list of members that depend on electricity for life support equipment.  Please ask your health provider to send Sand Mountain Electric Cooperative a written notification explaining the reason for medical priority.  When possible, SMEC will try to contact members by phone if there is a planned outage from the priority list. If you move or change your phone number, you must contact the SMEC service department with these updates for the medical priority list. The co-op encourages members to have an emergency back-up plan in the event of an extended outage. Please note that this priority list is for planned outages, SMEC has no control over natural caused outages or public accidents.